Regimental History
The battalion was gradually increased by the arrival of recruits, and in July, 1865 numbered 400, when orders came for a transfer to Camp Winder, near Richmond, Va. In September a change was made to Camp Winthrop. The reorganization of the 2d Battalion commenced the same month at Fort Hamilton. Lieutenant Discum was relieved as R. Q. M. October 14th, by 1st Lieutenant Edgar C. Bowen. As soon as the companies of the 2d Battalion were filled, they were sent to join the 1st, and the end of 1865 saw the 2d at Winthrop, fully reorganized, numbering over 500, Captain Anderson in command. The 1st was smaller. Five companies were at Winthrop under Captain Richard C. Parker, two at Yorktown, and one at Fort Magruder. A beginning had been made of the 3d Battalion at headquarters, and two companies had a few men to account for.

In January 1866, the companies of the 1st at Winthrop were sent to Fort Monroe, where they were joined by those at Yorktown. Thence battalion headquarters and Companies B and D went to Williamsburg, C to Camp Hamilton, and H to Norfolk. The latter was joined by F from Camp Magruder. The 1st Battalion remained in this vicinity until August, when all the companies were collected at Camp Augur, Washington.

Companies B, D, E, F, G and H, 2d, were changed in January from Winthrop to Petersburg. The 2d Battalion continued about Petersburg until the consolidation in December, Major Woodruff joining in November. Companies A and B, 3d, joined at Richmond in January, leaving C and D organizing at headquarters. In March, companies A, B, C and D under Captain Morgan changed from Richmond to Washington, and were there joined by F company, E being in process of organization at Hamilton. By July the entire battalion, numbering over 570, was in Washington at Russell Barracks, where regimental headquarters had been moved in June, Lieutenant-Colonel Wallace in command.

In February fourteen second lieutenants were appointed to fill vacancies. Almost all had held commissions in various grades in the volunteers. In March, General Franklin's resignation promoted General Augur to be colonel, and Major George W. Wallace succeeded the latter as lieutenant-colonel. The return for April shows aggregate in the regiment, 1723. On August 4th, Lieutenant Bowen resigned as R. Q. M., and was succeeded by 1st Lieutenant Edward Hunter, to date 11th. Lieutenant Putnam resigned the adjutancy on the 18th, and it remained vacant. Early in November Companies I and K 1st, 2d, and 3d Battalion joined at regimental headquarters from Davids' Island, via Fort McHenry, Baltimore, at which place they were supplied with arms and accoutrements. Companies I and K 2d, left on the 20th for Petersburg. The return for that month shows the highest aggregate, 1883.

On December 7th, pursuant to G. O. No. 92, A. G. O., dated November 23d, the regiment was divided into three, as follows: 1st Battalion remained the 12th, 2d became 21st, and 3d the 30th Infantry. Headquarters were then moved from Russell Barracks to Camp Augur, Lieutenant-Colonel Wallace in command. Majors Woodruff and Dodge were assigned to the 21st, and 30th respectively, dating from September 21st. 2d Lieutenant David J. Craigie was appointed adjutant to date December 1st. The aggregate for that month was 586. The company officers remaining were as follows: Captains H. R. Rathbone, P. W. Stanhope, W. J. L. Nicodemus, B. R. Perkins, R. C. Parker, M. H. Stacey, H. C. Egbert, R. H. Pond and A. G. Tassin; 1st Lieutenants A. Thiemann, J. E. Putnam, J. H. May, J. L. Rathbone, E. Hunter, C. S. Luipler, A. B. Mac Gowan, and J. L. Viven; 2d Lieutenants W. E. Dove, A. M. Trolinger, D. W. Applegate, S. L. Hammon, L. Nolen, D. J. Craigie, W. A. Coulter, W. W. Deane and R. C. Breyfogle. During the whole of 1867 the regiment remained in and about Washington doing garrison duty. Company A went to Phillippi, West Va., in October, returning in November.

On January 18, 1868, Companies B. C, F and K, under Major Maynadier, proceeded by rail to South Carolina where stations were taken at Darlington, Georgetown and Beaufort. Afterwards Charleston and Summerville, S. C., Montgomery, Ala., and Fort Pulaski and Savannah, Gal, were occupied, and at the latter place on December ad Major Maynadier died. The duties performed in this locality during the reconstruction period were of a very trying and delicate nature, requiring as they did a combination of good sense, courage and forbearance. In the meantime various outposts about Washington were occupied from time to time by companies or detachments, and Company H went to Fairmount, W. Va., in October, returning in November. Headquarters were changed that month from Russell to Lincoln Barracks. There were some changes of station among the companies in the South during the early part of 1869, and in March all were collected in Washington. Lieutenant Hunter resigned as R. Q. M. March 1st and his place was filled by 1st Lieutenant Viven. Colonel Augur was promoted to brigadier-general to date March 4th, and was succeeded by Colonel Orlando B. Wilcox, 15th, while Major Henry R. Mizner was assigned vice Maynadier, same date. The regiment was not affected by the reorganization made that year.

On April 5th Headquarters and Companies A, E, G and I left Washington by rail for Omaha, and proceeded thence by the Union Pacific railroad to the end of its track. A march of 45 miles was made to the terminus of the Central Pacific railroad, where cars were taken to San Francisco, Company I being detached at Humboldt Wells to take station at Camp Halleck, Nev. The other three companies arrived at Angel Island, via San Francisco, on the 29th. Companies B, C, D, F, H and K, under Lieutenant-Colonel Wallace, left Washington, 10th, and proceeded west by the same route as that taken by the first detachment. Company C disembarked at Reno, and H at Wadsworth, to take station at Camp Bidwell, and Churchill Barracks, Nev., respectively. The other four companies reached Angel Island May 6th. Headquarters and Company G remained there. The other companies proceeded to posts as follows: A, Camp Wright; B. Camp Independence; D, Fort Yuma; E and K, Camp Gaston, Cal., and F, Fort Whipple, Ariz. H changed from its first location at Churchill Barracks to Fort Mohave, Ariz., leaving a detachment at Camp Cody, Cal., and G was soon moved from headquarters to Camp Colorado, Ariz.

The regiment was thus scattered over three states or territories, occupying eleven different posts. The two most remote stations were nearly 700 miles apart, as the crow flies, and owing to the meagre facilities for transportation it took at least six weeks to go from one to the other. Lieutenant Craigie resigned as adjutant October 31st, and was succeeded by Lieutenant Hunter, November 1st. The latter was transfered [sic] to the 1st Cavalry February 19, 1870, leaving the adjutancy vacant until May 13th, when 1st Lieutenant Thomas F. Wright was appointed. He was placed upon the unassigned list June 9th, again leaving a vacancy until February 7,1871, when 1st Lieutenant John M. Norvell succeeded to the position. Lieutenant-Colonel Anderson D. Nelson, 6th Infantry, was transferred, vice Wallace retired, December 15, 1870. Lieutenant Viven resigned as R. Q. M. February 28, 1871, and Lieutenant Craigie succeeded him, to date March 1st.

Various changes of station occurred among the companies during the years 1870, 1871 and 1872. Camp Hall, Idaho, was the most northern point occupied, Company C moving there from Bidwell in April, 1870. Company F was posted in various places in Arizona, such as Camps Aqua Frea, Ben Richards, and Beale Springs. The isolated posts were almost all at or near Indian agencies, which involved more or less work inspecting supplies, etc. The routine of drill, signalling, and a primitive sort of target practice was relieved by occasional scouts, and hunting trips. Headquarters was a receiving station for recruits, who were held there until transportation could be furnished to their posts, and for months at a time the garrison consisted only of the band, a few men on detached service from their companies and the aforesaid recruits. Its proximity to San Francisco made its social attractions very great. Lieutenant Norvell resigned as adjutant, January 17, 1873. Later in the same month, Company E, with Lieutenants Wright and George W. Kingsbury, was sent to operate against the Modocs in the Lava Bed country. Company G. Lieutenant Charles P. Eagan, joined it in February. Both companies were ordered out after the massacre of General E. R. S. Canby and the Peace Commissioners on April with. On the 15th, 16th and 17th there was a general engagement with severe fighting in which Lieutenant Eagan and 2 privates were wounded, and a corporal killed, all of Company G. 26th, Company E with two batteries of the 4th Artillery was engaged with terrible loss, 4 officers and 18 men being killed, 2 officers and 16 men wounded. Lieutenant Wright and three men were among the former, and 4 men, the latter.

From this time the companies were continually scouting until late in May, when the Modocs surrendered and were escorted to Fort Klamath, Oregon, arriving there June 10th. Lieutenant Kingsbury was placed in charge of the prisoners, and afterwards detailed as a member of the military commission which met to try them on July 1st. Captain Jack, the chief, and three others were sentenced to be hung, and the execution took place October ad, Companies E and G being present. The latter formed part of the guard which took the remainder of the prisoners east, immediately after, while the former returned to Camp Gaston on the 28th. Second Lieutenant George S. Wilson was appointed adjutant June 12, 1873, and resigned the position February 20, 1875, being succeeded by 2d Lieutenant William D. Geary. In September, 1875, Companies C, G, F and I were ordered from Angel Island to southeastern Nevada to operate against hostile Indians. There was nothing but a little marching, and the next month all returned to their stations, C to Yuma, G. Bidwell, F and I, Angel Island. Lieutenant Craigie resigned as R. Q. M. January 31, 1876, and was succeeded by Lieutenant Kingsbury, February 1st. On May 14, 1877, a mutual transfer was made by which Major Mizner went to the 8th Infantry and Major Thomas S. Dunn, who had been one of the war captains, returned to the regiment.

In the summer of this year the Nez Percé Indian outbreak occurred, and Companies B. C, D, F and I were ordered from their respective stations to the scene of hostilities, northern and central Idaho. Companies D and I went to and remained at Lewiston, Idaho, and Camp McDermit, Nev., respectively. B and F, together with A, 21st Infantry, all under Captain Egbert, having arrived at Boise, Idaho, in July, were there designated as part of the reserve column under Major John Green, 1st Cavalry. The battalion left Boise on the 14th, joining Major Green at Little Salmon Meadows, ten days later, and spent the remainder of the month marching, reaching Crossdale's Ranch on the 31st. Thence Company B went to Kamai Agency, and F to camp at Mount Idaho. Late in September the two companies joined, and returned to Angel Island. Company C, Captain Viven, with H, 8th Infantry, left Fort Yuma, July 8th, and proceeded via Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Portland to Lewiston, arriving 17th. It numbered 13 men, but was reinforced at San Francisco by a number of cavalry recruits, who continued with it during the entire campaign. From Lewiston the company marched to Lawyer's Cañon, arrived 22d, joined General O. O. Howard's command, and remained with it during the long pursuit of the Nez Percés from the Clearwater, across the Yellowstone, where there was a skirmish in which the cavalry only were engaged, to the Missouri, arriving October 1st. Thence on the 14th with H, 8th, and four batteries of the 4th Artillery, went from Little Rocky Creek to Little Rocky Mountains, and towards Bear Paw, but were stopped en route, for the hostiles were defeated at that place by the troops under Colonel N. A. Miles, 5th Infantry. Returned to Little Rocky Creek, and thence on Steamer Benton proceeded to Omaha. Left there by rail, and arrived at Angel Island, November 8th. The company marched and travelled during this campaign 7194 miles.

In March of 1878 headquarters moved from Angel Island to Whipple Barracks, General Willcox having been placed in command of the Department of Arizona. The next month Company A joined at Whipple from Mohave. Major Dunn was retired June 29th. The Bannock outbreak took place this summer, and called into the field Companies B and K from Benicia Barracks, Cal., and C, D and F from Angel Island, all under Captain Egbert, and numbering 13 officers, 180 men. The battalion proceeded by the Central Pacific railroad to Carlin, Nev., and there debarked June 11th, thence to divide of Humboldt Mountains, where orders were received from General Howard to move with care as he expected to drive the hostiles in that direction. 14th, in compliance with instructions the officers were mounted, and wagons hired for the men, in order that movements might be as rapid as possible. As a result many of the marches were from 30 to 40 miles a day, thus showing the capabilities of infantry mounted on wheels in a country where the roads were suitable. 17th, crossed into Idaho, and at the end of the month the battalion was at old Camp Lyon, where instructions were received to be in readiness to move rapidly in any direction. Thence ordered to Boise, arriving July 2d and leaving 5th. The hostiles having been driven toward Powder River Valley, which was well settled, it became imperative to move there and make dispositions, which was done so well that the valley was saved from devastation. Company C under Captain Viven was sent to the head waters of Clover Creek on a scout, and at Ladd's Cañon on the 12th prevented a party from crossing, capturing 21. The battalion was then sent to head off the hostiles should they reach Snake River. Crossed the river 16th, and moved towards head of Main Weiser River, thence over Little Salmon River to camp on Goose Creek, being obliged to build roads in many places, through forests, over hills and down canons. From there detachments were sent out to watch all the trails.

Word having been received that the hostiles had abandoned all attempts in that direction, the command was ordered back, and gradually made its way to the Snake River, where it was divided, Companies F and K remaining at Rhinhart's crossing, the others patrolling up the west bank to Henderson's Crossing on the Owyhee, arriving 29th. There on August 1st a concentration was made, reports having been received that the hostiles were in the vicinity. Scouting along the river was continued until the 9th, when it was reported that the hostiles were trying to cross. Three detachments were made, two mounted, one in wagons, crossed at Glenn's Ferry, and sent down the river. One, under Captain Dove, found a strong party entrenched at Bennett's Creek. A spirited attack was made and returned, and one man was wounded. Night came on and stopped the fighting. A courier was sent to Captain Egbert, who hastened to the scene with all the available men. The hostiles escaped in the darkness, and were followed the next morning, but as orders had been received to proceed to Cold Spring depot the pursuit was abandoned. The detachments were called in, and the march began to Cold Spring. Left there 18th for Kelton on the Central Pacific, arriving 25th, thence to Angel Island.

Shortly after the return of the battalion from the field a general movement towards Arizona commenced, and by October the companies were distributed as follows: B and K, Camp Verde; C and D, Camp Apache; E, Camp Supply; F, Whipple Barracks; G, Camp McDowell; H, Camp Thomas, and I, Camp Grant. Then followed almost four years' service of nearly the same nature as that at the preceding station. During the entire period the companies were quite as much scattered about, although the distances separating them were not as great. There was considerable post constructing and road building. The restless Apaches required constant watching. For this purpose four Indian companies were maintained and much scouting done. These companies were commanded by young officers, the regiment being represented in this capacity at various times by Lieutenants Wilson, F. Van Schrader, Guy Howard, S. C. Mills and F. J. A. Darr. Lieutenant Geary resigned the adjutancy November 17, 1878, and was succeeded by 1st Lieutenant F. A. Smith. Major M. A. Cochran was assigned to the regiment March 4, 1879. Lieutenant-Colonel Nelson retired June 7th same year, Major R. S. La Motte being promoted to his vacancy. Lieutenant Kingsbury's resignation as R. Q. M. July 1st, resulted in the appointment of 1st Lieutenant W. W. Wotherspoon to that position.

The first serious outbreak of Indians occurred August 30, 1881, at Cibicu Creek, near Fort Apache, where the Indian scouts turned upon Cal. E. A. Carr's command of the 6th Cavalry, which had gone out to suppress trouble caused by a medicine man. Company D formed part of the garrison, and a detachment was engaged next day at a ferry near the post. On September 1 the whole company took part in the defense of the post. This led to a general concentration in the vicinity of the San Carlos Agency and along the Gila River. Company H went into the field from Yuma, C, from Thomas, F. partially mounted from Whipple, and K, under 1st Lieut. J. H. Hurst made a wonderful march from Fort Huachuca to Grant, the details of which are as follows: At 10 A. M. September 4 orders were received to take the field, and at 12.30 P. M. the company left the post, 31 strong, having for transportation one old cavalry horse, four broken down mules, one very lame, and a wagon the wheels of which did not track. At 7 P. M. went into bivouac 22 miles out. At this place such alarming news was received that it was deemed best to push on, and at 9 P. M., in the midst of a terrific storm that lasted twenty hours, the company started on a march that continued until 2 A. M. of the 6th, when a point known as the Horse Ranch, nine miles from Grant, was reached. Nearly all the first night the route lay along a cañon, which, ordinarily dry, had been turned by the storm into a raging torrent up to the men's knees. At three different times it seemed necessary to abandon the wagon, but it was finally pulled through. After a four hours' rest at the ranch the march was resumed to Grant, which was reached a little after 9 A. M. Every man was present, and on his feet. The distance was 100 miles, time 44 hours, certainly a wonderful exhibition of pluck and endurance.

None of the companies in the field were engaged in any action, and by December all had returned to their posts. During the spring and summer of 1882 there was more trouble, which called at various times Company E from Grant, G from McDowell, H from Fort Lowell, K from Huachuca, D from Apache, and F from Whipple. With the exception of Company E, which continued at Camp Price, at the southern end of the San Simon valley until August, none remained long in the field, nor were there any encounters with the hostiles.

In September came the welcome order for a new station, first to Fort D. A. Russell, Wyoming, but almost at the last moment it was changed to the Department of the East. The companies were concentrated at various places on the railroad, and went east in two detachments, Headquarters, and Companies A, B. C, D, F and G taking station at Madison Barracks, E and K, Fort Niagara, and H and I, Plattsburgh Barracks, all in New York. This change, after so many years on the Pacific coast and in the southwest, was very agreeable. Greater concentration and better facilities for travel allowed more intercourse. The older members of the regiment thus had the opportunity to recall old times, and the younger to become acquainted. Such military exercises as parade and battalion drill, which had been almost unknown since the regiment left Washington, were taken up with zeal, and had almost the charm of novelty. Five years were thus spent very pleasantly with but few changes, the most important being as follows: Major Cochran was promoted to lieutenant-colonel 5th Infantry, May 31, 1883, and Captain W. H. Penrose, 3d Infantry, took his place, with station at Fort Niagara. In May, 1884, Fort Ontario at Oswego was regarrisoned by Company H, which was replaced at Plattsburgh by Company C. In November Company I moved from Plattsburgh to Madison Barracks. In July, 1885, Company E was sent from Niagara to Mt. Gregor, N. Y., as guard for General Grant, then lying sick at that place. Upon his death the company formed part of the funeral escort from Mt. Gregor to Albany, thence to New York, taking part in the ceremonies at each place, and returning in August to its post.

On October 13, 1886, Col. Willcox received the reward of his distinguished services by promotion to brigadier-general, and left the regiment,
after being over seventeen years at its head. Lieut.-Col. Edwin F. Townsend, 11th Infantry, became colonel, and joined soon after. Lieut.-Col. La Motte was promoted colonel 13th Infantry, December 8, and was succeeded by Lieut.-Col. W. F. Drum, who had been major 14th Infantry. In March, 1887, the law limiting the tenure of regimental staff positions to four years resulted in the displacement of Lieuts. Smith and Wotherspoon, who had held their offices more than eight and seven years respectively. 1st Lieut. Von Schrader was appointed R. Q. M., and 1st Lieut. R. K. Evans adjutant, to date April 1st. In May Company A was sent to Fort Wood on Bedloe's Island, New York Harbor, to guard the Statue of Liberty.

Late in June came an order for a move to Dakota, exchanging with the 11th Infantry, which was not received with as much pleasure as had been the one five years before. On July 6th a concentration was made at Buffalo, and the regiment was together for the first time since 1869. The companies embarked on the steamer Vanderbilt, the officers with families taking passage on the India. The trip through the lakes was delightful, Duluth being reached on the 31st. From Duluth, Headquarters and Companies E, F, G, H and I proceeded by rail to Bismarck, N. D., thence by boat down the Missouri River to Fort Yates, F being left at Fort Abraham Lincoln. Companies A, B, C, D and K moved by rail to Pierre, S. D., thence up the river to Fort Sully, K going to Fort Bennett. Thus commenced another tour of duty with the noble red man. It had an element of diversion, however, in the fact that the Dakotas were the superiors of any Indians with which the regiment had ever been thrown, and having made a start towards civilization their development could be watched with interest. Lieutenant Evans resigned as adjutant July 1st, 1888, and was succeeded by Lieutenant Howard. Major Penrose became lieutenant-colonel 16th Infantry August first, promoting Captain J. A. P. Hampson 10th Infantry. Lieutenant Howard's resignation as adjutant May 13, 1889, resulted in the appointment of 1st Lieutenant C. W. Abbot, Jr., to that position. In July, Companies G and H. with Troop G, 8th Cavalry, went to Bismarck to take part in the celebration of the admission of North Dakota to statehood on the 4th. In September, Companies E, G, and I, with Troop F, 8th Cavalry, from Yates, and F with I, 22d Infantry, from Lincoln, all under Colonel Townsend, camped for nearly three weeks on the Cannonball River, and spent the time in working out practical problems in minor tactics. Companies A, B and C from Sully and K from Bennett were similarly engaged at points near their respective posts. Every summer or fall since, there has been more or less field work of this nature, an instructive and pleasant change from garrison duty.

In January, 1890, Company A was sent from Sully to Fort Pierre to prevent the intrusion of settlers upon the Sioux reservation. On February lath it was opened for settlement and the company remained as a guard. In April Company C went from Sully to the Lower Brulé Agency for the same purpose. Captain Egbert, the last officer still in the regiment who had served in it during the war, was promoted to major 17th Infantry on April 23d. Companies A and B exchanged in May. On August 26th Companies I and K were "skeletonized," the men of the former being distributed

among F, G and H. and the latter among A, B, C and D. The letter of the company at Bennett then became A. About this time the regiment was honored by the selection of its colonel as commandant of the Infantry and Cavalry School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and Headquarters and Company E moved to that post, arriving in September. Later on Companies B and C returned to Sully, and in November B went into camp at Bennett, to furnish additional security to the agency there in view of expected trouble leading out of the Ghost dances, which the Indians had begun, in anticipation of the coming of their Messiah.

Lieutenant-Colonel Drum in command at Yates received orders on December 12th to arrest Sitting Bull, who was, as of yore, one of the leading malcontents on the Sioux reservation. To accomplish this the cavalry at the post, Troops F and G, 8th, under Captain E. G. Fechét, were sent out on the evening of the 14th and proceeded to his camp on Grand River, whither they had been preceded by the Indian police from Standing Rock Agency. The next morning a lively fight took place, Sitting Bull was killed by the police, and his band dispersed. News of this having reached the post about noon that day, Companies G and H were ordered out, and under Colonel Drum started to reinforce the troops, which were met on their return about 23 miles out. The next day the command returned to the post. The remnant of Sitting Bull's band made its way south to Cherry Creek, and there joined a camp of dancers, which 2d Lieutenant H. C. Hale had been sent from Bennett to watch. He, at great personal risk, persuaded them to remain there until he could bring Captain Hurst, then in command at Bennett, for a further parley. They returned next day to the camp, attended only by one enlisted man and two Indian scouts, and induced both bands, consisting of 221 men, women, and children, to go peaceably to the post. This wise and plucky action received the commendation it deserved.

Company G, increased to 60 men by a detachment from H, left Yates for the field late in December, and returned in January, 1891, doing considerable marching, but having no opportunity for an encounter with the hostiles. In February, Headquarters and Company E formed part of a command from Fort Leavenworth which attended the funeral of General Sherman in St. Louis. The next month Company G moved from Yates to Fort Leavenworth. Lieutenant Von Schrader's tour as R. Q. M. expired March 31st, and he was succeeded by 1st Lieutenant P. G. Wood. Company B returned to Sully in May, and in the same month I was reorganized at Mt. Vernon Barracks, Ala., by the enlistment of 47 of Geronimo's band of Apaches then at that place under charge of Lieutenant Wotherspoon, who was put in command of the company. 30 more were enlisted at San Carlos, and 1 at Washington, which with four white sergeants, made a total enlisted of 82, the largest company in the army. The discipline and drill of these Indians has been reported as excellent, being superior in the latter, in some particulars, to the white soldiers with whom they are associated.

The abandonment of Lincoln and Bennett, in July and October respectively, sent Companies F and A to Yates. On July 4, 1892, Lieutenant-Colonel Drum died suddenly, promoting Major Hampson whose place was filled by Captain J. H. Gageby, 3d Infantry. Lieutenant-Colonel Hampson died October 14th, and Major E. W. Whittemore, 10th Infantry, succeeded to his vacancy. The same month Headquarters and Company E, the latter increased to 60 men by a detachment from G, constituted a portion of a command from Fort Leavenworth, which took part in the dedicatory exercises of the World's Fair in Chicago, on the mist. While there, a gentleman seeing the regimental colors, introduced himself to the adjutant as an ex-sergeant, who had served in the regiment during the '64 campaign, and told many interesting reminiscences. Finally he produced a small package, which he carefully undid, showing a much defaced gilt star and saying"You may look at, but not touch that. It is one of the two last stars remaining on the battle flag. In front of Petersburg another sergeant and myself cut them off, and each took one. I think everything of it." This incident indicates a lesson of devotion to the principles of duty of which the flag is emblematic, that may well be taken to heart by all who now, or may hereafter, serve under the colors of the 12th Infantry. They will have the proud consciousness of the fact that the regiment has done its duty in the past. It only remains for them to sustain that reputation in the future.
Regimental History
Indian Wars 1966 - 1892 Era